Many chandlers love to put different decorations in their candles. From dried flowers and natural spices, to beans and even crystals. Adding different healing crystals to candles has been a popular trend and has been getting a lot of attention recently.
But is putting crystals in candles safe? Yes! Although there are some risks associated with putting crystals in your homemade candles, it is still generally safe as long as you don’t leave them burning unattended.
Crystals have very high melting points which means the flame from your candle will most likely leave your crystals undamaged. This means you will be able to reuse your crystals after each use. Adding crystals to your candles is a great way to release the positive energies that are associated with them.
Is It Safe to Burn Crystals?
As with all candle burning, there is always a small risk when fire is involved. You should never leave candles unattended while they are burning with or without crystals in them.
Burning crystals with your candles will add a nice visual effect as well as give little bit of transcendence to your atmosphere.
When adding crystals to your candles, we recommend using small, or chipped crystals. This will help your candle burn more evenly than if you were to use larger crystals.
Large crystals tend to make the candle burn unevenly which can result in pushing the wick to the side of your glass or container which can cause it to heat up and break.
When using smaller crystals, they will generally sink slowly to the bottom of the glass or container while the candle is burning. Once your candle is finished, you can simply remove them to be used again.
We recommend using chipped crystals like these from Amazon. They come in a wide variety of types and colors, and are the perfect size which makes them excellent for candles.
Which Crystals are Good for Candles?
Many crystals are safe to be used in candles. Crystals have very high melting points which makes a majority of them good to be used in candles.
Even though many of the healing crystals are great to be used in candles, they all do have a purpose. Combining crystals in the right manner so that their energies complement one another is a great way to increase their effectiveness, along with adding other healing herbs and essential oils.
Here’s a small list of some of the most popular healing crystals used in candles:
Rose quartz is highly known for being the crystal of unconditional love. Its healing properties are said to increase feelings of self-love and to also help foster loving relationships with others in your life.
Amethyst is one of the most popular healing crystals, and is used in many different ways such as in jewelry, spiritual meditation, and cleansing.
Amethyst is also connected to the Crown Chakra and the Third Eye.
Jade is known for its calming and soothing properties. It helps to eliminate fear, increase comfort, and is great at balancing emotions.
Clear quarts is great at balancing and redirecting energy. It also helps to enhance thoughts as they are also a form of energy.
Citrine symbolizes joy, abundance, and clarity. Its healing properties can help with physical, emotional, and spiritual balance and issues.
Check out this Etsy store, EarthBound Jewelry. They sell a variety of Healing Crystal Bracelets ranging from Rose Quartz, Amethyst, Jade, Citrine and more!
How Do I Add Crystals to My Candles?
To add crystals to your candles, follow this quick guide:
|Candle Wax of your choice (soy wax, paraffin wax, or beeswax) and Candle Wicks
|Healing Crystals (We recommend using chipped crystals like these from Amazon)
|Essential Oils, Dried Flowers, Beans, Natural Herbs
|Oven, or Double Boiler
|Scissors and Glue
- Go ahead and grab your favorite crystal, herbs, and essential oils.
- Grab your jar/container and clean it well with soap and water.
- Add your desired amount of wax to your boiler and warm up the wax on a low heat.
- While your wax is heating, Glue your candle wicks to the bottom of your jars.
- When the wax is completely melted, check the temperature. When your wax is under 85 degrees, (about 70-80 degrees) pour your scents into it.
- Warm up your jar to help minimize the temperature difference before pouring your melted wax into it.
- Pour the wax into your jar. Center the wicks and place two clothespins on the jar in the middle to keep the wicks centered.
- Let it cool for awhile, and then remove the clothespins.
- Add all your lighter toppings to the candle wax such as dried flower petals, herbs, and spices.
- Once your candle wax has begun to harden, go ahead and start adding heavier toppings like your healing crystals.
- Let your candle completely dry and you’re ready to light it!
How Do You Remove Candle Wax from Crystals?
Once your candles are finished, you will notice that there may be clumps of leftover candle wax on your crystals. The best way to remove the excess dried wax from your crystals is with a heat gun or hair dryer.
- Be sure to point your heating device a few inches away from the area with wax and turn it on.
- In a slow, back and forth motion, apply heat to the affected areas of the crystals. After about a minute or so, you will start to see clear droplets beginning to form which means you will be able to start wiping off the area with paper towels.
- Repeat this process until all the wax is removed from your crystals.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Crystals Are Heat Safe?
Many of the crystals are heat safe, along with the ones we mentioned above. Rose quartz, amethyst, jade, citrine, and clear quartz and just a few of the heat safe crystals.
For a bigger list of crystals that are great to use in candles, click here.
What Crystals Are Heat Sensitive?
Emerald, aquamarine, chatoyant quartz, coral, achroite tourmaline, lapis lazuli, turquoise, sard, platinum, diamond, silver, tektites, carnelian, are some of the many crystals that are heat sensitive.
Adding decorations to your candles such as healing crystals, beans, herbs, spices, and dried flowers is a great way to express your creativity as well as your spirituality. Adding healing crystals to your candles is safe, but you must make sure your candles are never left unattended while they are lit.
Crystals have a very high melting point which means they will not be damaged from the heat of the flame. Using large healing crystals may make your candle burn unevenly by pushing against the wick as the candle melts.
This can cause the flame to rest on the jar or container and heat it up which can cause it to crack or break. We advise to stick to smaller chipped crystals to prevent any type of risks associated with using crystals in your candles.